Monday, April 27, 2009

Those are the Breaks

Let me tell you a story. As you may know I have been working as a creative consultant in marketing and design for a local business since last November. This job has been a God-send for many reasons. I have had the opportunity to forge many wonderful new relationships, work on new and challenging projects, learn a ton about marketing, and (most importantly) pay the bills. This means that, for many weeks, I didn't have to pay myself out of Sound of the Trumpet and I was able to let the account grow a bit. Then it happened. The brakes finally gave out in my truck. After countless thousands of miles on the road all over the Midwest, the old boy needed some surgery.

If you've ever had a total break job (and I mean total - shoes, pads, rotors, disks, fluid, the works) you know that they don't come cheap. That fateful morning, I dropped my friend off at the shop and waited to here the diagnosis. The phone call came later that day - it wouldn't be cheap, but it was doable. I gave the go-ahead and nearly $700.00 later I drove it home. While I was glad to have my truck back in traveling shape, I was concerned that Sound of the Trumpet would have to postpone some of its future plans due to the financial drain.

That next week I received a call to perform a wedding for a dear friend I had known for years. I also received two funeral calls that week. Normally people pay you when you do those kinds of things and it's enough to cover your gas and maybe lunch. That week was a little different. When I counted up what I had been paid for these three services, I counted $700.00. In one week, the cost of my brake job that threatened to derail my plans for ministry was washed completely by God's provision. I continually marvel and the way that He provides for the ministries to which he calls us.

Thanks to all of you who came out to the Wesleyan Church in Sidney and New Carlisle Missionary these last couple of weeks. It's always great to see you and share my stories in person. I will be playing at the Faith Missionary Church in Hamilton, Ohio on Mother's Day. I'd love to see you there.

Be God's
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment